Thursday, September 20, 2007

Day Eight: Stewing & Braising


What we did: Braised and Stewed (but not in our own juices).

Today was the first day we worked with Jean-Jacques Paimblanc and we made four dished designed to teach us about cooking with liquid. They were, Beef Daube, Lamb Curry, Ratatouille, and Braised Endive. The essential difference between stewing and braising is that with a stew, the ingredients are entirely covered with liquid. With a braise, liquid (water, stock, wine) is present, but does not cover the ingredients. In some cases, a braise may only use steam. So, if you cover beef with enough wine and then slowly reduce the liquid to cook the meat and thicken the liquid, you are producing a stew. If, on the the other hand, you brown some endive halves, then add a small bit of liquid to the pan, cover it and then put it in the oven for 30 minutes, you are braising the endive.

Today was humbling for me. We were given the option of adding poached eggs to our ratatouille. Which we did and I was charged with this task. I have poached maybe a 100 eggs in my lifetime. It is definitely something I feel like I can do with sure success. Not this time. Not only did I not put enough vinegar in the poaching water (it helps to keep the whites from dispersing), but without me realizing it, the flame under to pot went out. So, when I went to put the eggs in the water, it was cold and not acidic enough and the result was a cloudy mess. Sigh. I had too start over.

It just goes to show, when it comes to food and cooking, you can't take anything for granted. Maybe this is why I enjoy cooking so much, it is a continual challenge and there is always something new to be learned.

All ended well though, as you can see, and I guess that is what is most important.

Quote of the day: "Cooking is being able to control the fire. Master the fire." - jj paimblanc

No comments: